Attending a sports game with your boss in the corporate box is exciting but also tricky to navigate, especially in terms of what to wear. It’s a casual event, but you’ve also got to put your best foot forward and impress your boss….all without looking stuffy or like you tried too hard. So what should you wear? Here are some tips to help you dress with confidence for the event:
- Wardrobe: Assuming the game is on a weeknight, wear what you would normally wear to the office. While senior partners can get away with showing up to events in sweats or jeans, you cannot. You are a junior employee, and you still have to prove yourself. So dress the part of someone who is put-together and hard working.
- Team spirit: Unless you are specifically told otherwise, don’t wear a team jersey because it will make you look juvenile and tacky. Instead, opt for something more subtle like dress socks that are the team’s colors or a baseball cap (a regular one, not a flat top).
- Wrong side: Speaking of team spirit, do NOT wear the other team’s colors. This shows a lack of awareness that won’t do you any favors.
- Finishing touches: Keep your hair and makeup polished but not over the top. A blow out wouldn’t hurt, and neither would a manicure, but save the prom-esque makeup for another day.
- Keep it classy: This goes without saying, but remember you are representing your company in public at this event. A good litmus test for your outfit is, “if the president of the company saw me right now, would I be embarrassed or proud of my appearance?”
Hope this helps, and congrats on scoring a seat in the corporate box. Knock ‘em dead!