Professional headshots are a necessary evil in today’s digital world. You need something to put on your LinkedIn profile, and a selfie usually isn’t going to cut it, even if it’s a really good one. So what should you do instead? Hire a photographer to take a professional looking photo for you! This can be a little daunting, so here are a few do’s and don’ts I learned when I first got mine done!
- Wear a simple top in a neutral color- think grey, white, navy, etc.
- Ask your university’s career center if they do complimentary headshots– some do!
- Create a Pinterest board with professional headshots that you like
- Put on a little makeup: think foundation, blush, eyeshadow, and mascara
- Take your photo in a well-lit area, either near a window or outside on a cloudy day
- Have a professional or semi-professional take your photo
- Wear a bright colored top or one with a busy pattern
- Go to your photo shoot with no idea of what you want your headshot to look like
- Apply makeup with a heavy hand– this is for LinkedIn, not a Broadway audition!
- Take your photo in a dimly lit area, dappled sunlight, or direct sunlight
- Ask your friend who’s never seen a DSLR in their life to do the job
Feature image found here.